Once we went to change the oil on Katie’s GS650, we realized someone had stripped the drain plug pretty good, and attempted to cure this issue by covering the drain plug with RTV and Teflon tape!
Rather than trying to just bandaid a bandaid, we opted to install a new Oil Pan and OEM gasket.
In order to get to the oil pan on this bike, the exhaust must be removed in order to gain access.
As Katie and I were removing the bolts from the manifold to cylinder head, one of the bolt heads snapped clean off 😥, a new experience for Katie.
With the exhaust out of the way, we removed all of the bolts for the oil pan. We tried to remove the pan, but the 30+ year old gasket said no! After some tapping with a rubber mallet the thing popped off. Leaving behind a very stuck gasket.
Katie was a trooper, and spent few days slowly chipping off the old gasket. But while she was out of town I decided to surprise her to a reassembled motorbike.
After using a nifty precision scrapper, some oil soaked sandpaper, a microfiber with some brake clean, I got the block looking like new! So then I threw the oil pan back on!
That damn broken bolt, turned out to be not too bad. Rather than using channellocks and vice grips, I found a little bolt that threaded over the stuck portion. Originally I tried using two nuts to try and back the stud out, but with no success.
Now the GS is back together again!